Vintage inspired reclaimed wood sign

February 27, 2013 by twinoaksstudio

Hi everyone!

I just finished up a sign and wanted to share it (ok – show it off a little 🙂

The coolest part of the sign is the wood I used.   When you hear “reclaimed wood” people often think of barn wood, which is highly coveted, somewhat pricey and not too common in the Washington DC area as we have few barns left to reclaim wood from!    What we DO have in abundance are houses built in the 1950s-1970s.   Many of these homes are getting demolished or remodeled and some smart homeowners are donating their materials to salvage shops in the area.   I purchased my wood paneling from Second Change in Baltimore which is a HUGE warehouse of salvaged goods – everything from hardwood flooring, claw foot bathtubs,  Sub Zero refrigerators (!!!), used furniture, antique appliances, windows, entire kitchens, fireplace mantles, geez, too many cool things to list!

My sign started off looking like this – cue your favorite 1970s song track!

bike ad paneling

But its not the front side of the paneling that I painted on, its the BACK side.   Nice and smooth, and full of knots and character.   I cut the paneling into a two equal sized sections and screwed them together using another piece of wood left in my shop from a previous project.

Here is the wood stained and ready to paint:

bike ad stained

I painted it a couple of coats of Miss Mustardseed’s Milk Paint in grainsack.   Grainsack is a great color – it has hints of yellow and grey in it.  I forced chipping of the milk paint using 2 methods:  1. applying furniture wax along the edges, and 2. my Frog Tape method that I recently posted about.

The ad I used for the sign is from the Graphics Fairy’s website.   I modified the ad slightly and used an older, more simple style of bicycle.   I transferred the image to the wood using a projector, pencil and a lot of patience.   I then painted the ad using acrylic craft paint, sanded it down to distress it more, applied a clear coat of furniture wax then a dark coat of wax to add to the aged look.

Here it is!

bike ad after

I love the chipping of the milk paint.

bike ad chippiness

I also love how the distressing highlighted the wood grain and knots in the paneling.

bike ad wood grain

bike ad final

I am very thankful to those who donated their paneling!   It gives me a lot of material to create with.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

— Pauline

This piece is on consignment at Stifel and Capra, Falls Church, VA

I will be linking this post up with the following link parties – thanks for hosting ladies!!

Miss Mustardseed

The Graphics Fairy

Redoux Interiors

My Repurposed Life

Update:   This post was a “featured” project on My Repurposed Life’s Catch as Catch Can 113 and The Graphics Fairy’s Brag Monday.   Thank you so very much ladies!   Its a great honor!

20 thoughts on “Vintage inspired reclaimed wood sign

1. Kathleen says:

Great piece! What talent and artistry you have my friend. 🙂 Thank goodness Cindy posted the link on Facebook, I had no idea you had a blog. Looks like you are really enjoying your work and turning out good, high quality pieces.

Love and miss ya,
    Kathleen

2. tricia says:

This turned out lovely! Perfect chippyness 🙂

3. artsnark says:

fantastic! Really love how this came out

4. I LOVE this!! I want it

5. Pauline–love your sign! you really did a great job with the graphic and the finish. catching you!
    gail

6. Hi Pauline, Your sign is fantastic! I love it!

7. Denise McDonald says:

I LOVE this! Great job! One question…You said you “screwed the pieced together using another piece of wood you already had.” What does that mean? Do you have any pics of that?

• Hello! Thank you! The wood pieces on the back are left over from another sign I made up, I just cut them to size. The back of the sign is not really pretty but it is very sturdy. I hope this helps! Thanks for stopping by! — Pauline
      Hmmmm I’m having trouble embedding the picture into the comments section so please here is the direct link to a photo of the back of the sign: http://wp.me/a2BqJ4-do

8. Pascale says:

This is so great. Thank you for sharing. I have to try this myself! Regards from Holland. Pascale

9. Cynthia says:

Found your wonderful piece on Graphics Fairy! Love it! Beautiful work!

10. […] weeks DIY pick is: This Wonderful Wooden Bike Sign created by Pauline from Twin Oaks Studio!   Pauline used the Vintage Bike Ad, along with Miss Mustard Seed’s Milk Paint, to create […]

11. Breah says:

Love the sign! I was curious what you used to stain the wood to take it from the orange hues to the darker chestnut? We just purchased a house that has that exact wood paneling on the ceiling and we would like to stain it the color you have in the stained photo. Would you please advise? Thanks!

12. […] super cute reclaimed wood sign, from Twin Oaks Studio, uses the Vintage Clip Art – Old Fashioned Bicycle to complete […]